Sunday, December 4, 2011

Glitter Letter DIY

Here's a little DIY that I thought of when I was in Hobby Lobby the other day: glitter letters to add some sparkle to a room. Here's what you need:
  • Wooden letter(s) of your choice - make sure you get flat ones!
  • Glitter scrapbook paper (or any other patterned paper of your choice)
  • Ball point pen
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge
  • Medium to large paint brush
  • Acrylic paint - in your choice of color (optional)
  • Small, flat paint brush (optional)
When I went Hobby Lobby was having a sale on all of their scrapbook paper so the glitter paper, normally $1.99 was only a dollar a piece so I made sure to grab some extra in other colors for friends. Depending on what size letters you get they should be about $.99-2.99 each. And if you're like me you probably have numerous bottles of Mod Podge sitting at home but if not Hobby Lobby carries that as well. If you want to make your own, here's a recipe that I've found works great as well!

So here's what you do!
  1. Turn you paper over so the glitter or pattern is facing down. Place your letter - upside down - on the back of the paper.
  2. On a firm surface, trace the outline of the letter onto the back of the paper. Now cut the letter out.
  3. Paint Mod Podge onto the front of the letter and the back of the paper. Not flip the paper over and place it onto the letter so it looks like mine in the picture.
  4. Now give the Mod Podge some time to dry. I placed a text book on top of my letter to make sure that the paper didn't come up anywhere while it was drying.
  5. Once the paper is secure on the letter, I took the acrylic paint and painted the sides of my letter to add a little more drama; this step is totally optional but really cute. I did black paint with my hot pink glitter to make it pop! It only took one coat for mine, but my letter was already painted white when I bought it.
  6. After that just let the paint dry and you're done! And now you have a super cute letter to hang on you're wall, decorate a desk, or whatever your heart desires!
I think these would be really cute in a nursery or for a little girl's room. I made mine for my apartment at college and I love it. I placed mine up on a shelf with a bunch of pictures of my friends. I hope y'all like this quick, easy DIY and try it for your own room!

No comments:

Post a Comment